Environmental Protection Frequently Asked Questions

Display menu

Environmental Protection Frequently Asked Questions


What is AG DAY LA?

This is an annual event to provide a "hands-on" education experience to our local students to demonstrate where their food, water, and clothing actually come from.  A variety of different stations are set up so that the students get to see first-hand where milk comes from, learn about the different food groups, see how cotton and wool are turned into clothing, how our water is shipped from the north to the south, how honeybees and exotic insect pests impact agriculture, how community gardens can exist in urban settings, and to have the opportunity to touch real farm animals.  This Department, along with Los Angeles County Farm Bureau, California Women for Agriculture, and the 48th District Agricultural Association, was one of the founding organizations in the creation of this program.  Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich is one of the main supporters of the annual event.  You can get more information about AG DAY LA by visiting their website at http://www.agdayla.com/.


How can I file a complaint about pesticide spraying at a nursery in my neighborhood?

Contact the Pesticide Division, County of Los Angeles Department of Agricultural Commissioner/Weights & Measures at 626-575-5466.

Nurseries can spray in accordance with the Food and Agricultural Code (FAC) and the California Code of Regulations (CCR).


How can I get information for the Federal Emergency Loan Program?  Is there a similar program for farms impacted by the exotic fruit fly quarantine?

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has established emergency loan programs for family-sized farming operations impacted by changes in climatic conditions such as drought, high winds, fire, and exotic fruit fly quarantines.  To apply for financial assistance and guidance, please contact your local Farm Service Agency office listed in the phone directory under U.S. GOVERNMENT, AGRICULTURE.  Our local agent is Doug Brand, and can be reached by calling 661-942-9549, extension 102.  Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA's Target Center at 202-702-2600 (voice and TDD).  For additional information on these programs, please visit the website: http://www.disasterassistance.gov/


How can I file a complaint about a pesticide related illness?

If you, or someone you know has been injured by a pesticide, seek medical attention immediately.  The medical facility is required by law to file a Doctor’s First Report with the Poison Control Center, which our office will investigate.

Also, contact our office and give us as much information about the application as you can.  The sooner we are able to investigate, the better.  The Pesticide Use Enforcement Division phone # is 626-575-5466.


How do I file a complaint about a fumigation company?

Call our Pesticide Division, County of Los Angeles Department of Agricultural Commissioner/Weights & Measures, at 626-575-5466.  Or use our Feedback Form so that we may contact you.  Depending upon the nature of the complaint, you may need to contact the Structural Pest Control Board to get the matter resolved.

You can also contact the Structural Pest Control Board: http://www.pestboard.ca.gov/contact.shtml

The Board offers a complaint form to start the process:



How do I get a copy of the Crop Report?

See our webpage, and search for ‘Crop Report’.  All crop reports are in .pdf format and ready to download.  If you have additional questions about the Crop Report publications, contact our Department at 626-575-5466.


How can I check if a Pest Control Company is registered with Los Angeles County?

Contact the Pesticide Use Division, County of Los Angeles Department of Agricultural Commissioner/Weights & Measures at 626-575-5466.



How do I know if a pesticide is dangerous to the health of my family?

All pesticides are poisons.  Some are more toxic than others. The label indicates this by the signal word. The least toxic pesticide has the signal word, ‘CAUTION’, then ‘WARNING’, then ‘DANGER’. Often the pest problem can be controlled by mechanical and cultural means, or changing the environment so that it is not suitable for pest survival.  If you have to use pesticides, read the label very carefully and follow the instructions.


What is the difference between a pesticide and household chemical?

Pesticides are agents used to control pests (animals, insects, weeds, etc.)  To identify whether a household chemical is a pesticide or not, look at the product label that is affixed to the container. All pesticides will have an EPA Registration Number. (EPA Reg. No.)  Our department has created a document to answer questions about the use of pesticides and antimicrobial products in rental property settings.  Look for ‘Employer’s Guide: What to Expect During an Investigation’, on our website.



How do I get a SLN Number (Special Local Need)?

The Special Local Need program is managed by the Department of Pesticide Regulation (DPR).  A Special Local Need (SLN) or Section 24(c), authorizes DPR to register a new product, or add a new application of that product to address an existing or imminent pest situation.  In order to qualify for an SLN exemption, the applicant must prove that the pest problem cannot be mitigated by a currently registered product.  Distribution of SLN’s will be addressed by your local inspector.  Call our main office, Pesticide Use Enforcement Division at 626-575-5466.  For a complete listing of SLN's, call DPR's regional office at: 714-279-7690. 


How do I find information about a certain pesticide or chemical?

There a few resources you can draw from to get answers.

  1. Contact us.  We will ask you the name of the product, the EPA Reg. No., and how you plan to use the product.  The EPA Reg. No is located on the label, often times just below the product name.  For example: Roundup's EPA Reg. No is 524-475.  Please have this information available.  There are a few web sites that have pesticide labels. 
  2. Labels are the complete instructions that come with the pesticide product.  The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has a website where you can search for all registered product labels.  http://iaspub.epa.gov/apex/pesticides/f?p=109:1:0::NO:1
  3. Call us at 626-575-5466, or use the Feedback Form. 



Do I need a license to spray my own residential property?

No, because over the counter pesticides sold directly to homeowners, such as the ones you buy in your neighborhood retail stores, do not require either a permit or certification.  Be sure to follow the pesticide label and all the precautionary statements, especially those having to do with personal protective equipment.


Who do I talk to about scheduling a structural Branch 2 or 3 exam?

Contact the Pesticide Division, County of Los Angeles Department of Agricultural Commissioner/Weights & Measures at 626-575-5466.


What licenses do I need to start my own business?

If you plan to do agricultural pest control work, there are two types of licenses.  The Maintenance Gardener Business License is for people who perform pest control incidental to their gardening business.  Prior to applying for the business license, you must obtain a Qualified Applicator Certificate (QAC) in the maintenance gardener category (Category B or Q).

The Pest Control Business (PCB) License is required of any person who engages for hire solely in the business of pest control. A Qualified Applicator License (QAL) is required in order to qualify for the PCB License.

The exams for both QAC and QAL are administered by the Department of Pesticide Regulation (DPR). Business Licenses are also issued by DPR.

For more information visit www.cdpr.ca.gov.

Contact Us

Headquarters Office
12300 Lower Azusa Road
Arcadia, CA 91006-5872
(626) 575-5471

South Gate Office
11012 South Garfield Ave.
South Gate, CA 90280
(562) 622-0402

Antelope Valley Office
335 E. Ave. K-10
Lancaster, CA 93535
(661) 974-8801